Wednesday

Stand Against Bullying

Who likes getting picked on? No one. And yet it happens in some form or other. The repercussions are serious and sometimes lasting.
I recall watching three guys bullying a disabled girl in school once. It was so upsetting that I walked up to them and told them off. The thought later crossed my mind that they could have turned on me. Hurt me. But I didn't care at the time. I was livid.
But isn't that the essence of bullying? Insecure people picking on those they perceive as weak? And by not taking a stand and letting these bullies know it is not acceptable in any situation, we can stop the madness.
I also have a confession. I used to get bullied. Maybe because I appear to be an easy target? I do not know. Whatever the reason, those times were never easy and always painful to recall. This is one of those times.
I was outside with some of my friends during recess and this girl was going around saying hateful things about me. When I asked her about it, she started pushing me around. We ended up fighting and, thanks to self defense lessons, I was able to successfully defend myself. Mind you, this girl was twice my size and when I asked her later why she did it, she said didn't know why.. Just that she thought she could kick my ass and get away with it.
I do not advocate fighting or violence. In fact, I never pick fights or pick on people (having been both a witness and a victim to bullying). However knowing how to protect yourself in any situation is crucial.
Not only for your safety, but for security and self confidence.
Cyberbullying also runs rampant. Mostly due to the anonymity of being online. Even something like a game that's supposed to be fun, bullying exists in some form.
So if you are in-game and someone is picking on you, ignore and report them... Especially if things cross a line.

No comments: